Located in Nashville, Tennessee, and operating at a global crossroads of teaching, discovery and patient care, VUMC is a community of individuals who come to work each day with the simple aim of changing the world. It is a place where your expertise will be valued, your knowledge expanded and your abilities challenged. It is a place where your diversity — of culture, thinking, learning and leading — is sought and celebrated. It is a place where employees know they are part of something that is bigger than themselves, take exceptional pride in their work and never settle for what was good enough yesterday. Vanderbilt's mission is to advance health and wellness through preeminent programs in patient care, education, and research.
Supervisors: Senior Director of Advisory Boards, Councils, and Volunteers and Executive Director of Principal Gifts
Through the exceptional capabilities and caring spirit of its people, Vanderbilt University Medical Center leads in the delivery of exemplary health care, improving the lives of individuals and communities regionally, nationally and internationally. We combine transformative educational programs, compelling scientific discoveries, and distinctive personalized care to achieve this goal.
To consistently achieve excellence in medical science and health care, Vanderbilt University Medical Center Development builds relationships and encourages philanthropic contributions to directly impact today's work and to secure a strong future of service. Enthusiastic and timely support from our philanthropic partners enables the Medical Center as a nonprofit academic medical institution to excel in conducting groundbreaking research, training future leaders and providing compassionate care to patients.
Major Duties and Responsibilities: Senior Director of Boards and Councils
Program Planning and Coordination
· Create calendar and timeline of all VUMC board/council meetings, events and programs in partnership with VUMC executive leadership administration and development officers.
· Develop the overall logistics plan necessary to successfully carry out meetings and event activities for board/council members, VICC Ambassadors, and other volunteers in order to meet the goals of the volunteer program
· Serve as primary contact for all meeting and event vendors. Work with vendors ahead of events to secure services including, but not limited to, catering, audiovisual assistance, parking and transportation, rentals, and decor
· Manage the scheduling and registration details for board/council meetings, events and programs
· Prepare and assemble materials and presentations using a variety of formats
Marketing and Communication
· Maintain VUMC board/council website as needed
· Prepare letters and information to VUMC board/council members and VICC Ambassadors
· Work collaboratively with Development Communications to design and prepare content for invitations and other supporting materials
· Create and manage budgets for the meetings, events and programs and secure necessary approvals. Monitor expenditures/making decisions on funds for meetings, events and programs
· Schedule appointments and meetings involving multiple participants
· Maintain attendance records in database and in office records for all VUMC board/councils
· Collect, record, and submit payment requests to financial contacts in each department served to insure timely payment
· Support directors' needs for data entry, presentations, monthly reports and other documents using Microsoft Office Suite; Run reports related to performance evaluations and metrics for director
· Maintain office budgets as assigned and keep abreast of spending on a regular basis to ensure that expenditures are within budget
· Provide support for special events related to development
· Perform other duties as assigned, including front desk coverage
Major Responsibilities: Executive Director of Principal Gifts
· Coordinate and perform administrative duties for the Ex. Dir. of Principal Gifts working with our highest-level donors. This candidate may also be asked to interact with other support staff across VUMC that represent our top leaders
· Maintain calendars; schedule meetings with staff, volunteers and faculty; arrange travel; maintain confidential prospect and donor records and files; file expense receipts
· Act as a contact person for the Executive Director's programs including: donors, volunteers, board members, and faculty members associated with all projects and programs
· Assist with drafting, editing and proofing correspondence, entering contact reports, and working with the Executive Director to draft follow-up and supporting prospect documents
· Support directors' needs for data entry, presentations, monthly reports and other documents using Microsoft Office Suite; run reports related to performance evaluations/metrics for the director
· Coordinate special mailings for department; ensure that production is on target; work with printers; create and maintain databases as needed; request computerized printouts, labels, etc; draft and answer routine correspondence.
· Manage principal gift reports and planning meetings to meet the overarching goals of the principal gifts program; provide briefings, specialized reports and data analysis for the overarching principal gifts program
· Assist with stewardship responsibilities including but not limited to annual impact reporting, gift agreements and acknowledgements
· Request and prepare prospect research for calls, in-office discussion and handle research briefs for leadership on behalf of the Executive Director
· Monitor, verify and reconcile expenditures. Complete and file expense reports; manage e-procurement charges
· Provide support for special events related to development.
· Perform other duties as assigned, including front desk coverage
High School Diploma or GED (or equivalent experience) and 2 years relevant experience
· Three to five years equivalent experience in development, project management, and event planning and/or administrative experience
· Proficiency with Microsoft Word, Excel, Outlook and PowerPoint
· Knowledge of Ellucian Advance database is desirable
· Ability to perform and coordinate multiple projects and priorities on a regular basis independently
· Superior oral and written communications skills
· Strong interpersonal skills and an excellent customer service attitude
· Candidate must have the capacity to perform in an intellectually rigorous and complex academic and medical environment
· Effective time management and organizational skills
· Ability to work independently and successfully in a collaborative team environment as well.
· Handle sensitive donor and patient information in the strictest confidence, according to departmental and institutional policies.
This is a full time job. Some evening and weekend work will be required.
VUMC Recent Accomplishments:
Because we are committed to providing the best in patient care, education and research, we are proud of our recent accomplishments:
US News & World Report: #1 Hospital in Tennessee, #1 Health Care Provider in Nashville, #1 Audiology ( Bill Wilkerson Center ), 12 adult and 10 pediatric clinical specialties ranked among the nation's best, #15 Education and Training
Truven Health Analytics: among the top 50 cardiovascular hospitals in the U.S.
Becker's Hospital Review: one of the "100 Greatest Hospitals in America"
The Leapfrog Group: grade "A" in Hospital Safety Score
National Institutes of Health: among the top 10 grant awardees for medical research in the US
Magnet Recognition Program: Vanderbilt nurses are the only group honored in Middle Tennessee
Nashville Business Journal: Middle Tennessee's healthiest employer
American Hospital Association: among the 100 "Most Wired" medical systems in the US
Vanderbilt University Medical Center is home to Vanderbilt University Hospital, The Monroe Carell Jr. Children’s Hospital at Vanderbilt, the Vanderbilt Psychiatric Hospital and the Vanderbilt Stallworth Rehabilitation Hospital. These hospitals experienced more than 61,000 inpatient admissions during fiscal year 2015. Vanderbilt’s adult and pediatric clinics treated nearly 2 million patients during this same period.
Vanderbilt University Hospital and the Monroe Carell Jr. Children’s Hospital at Vanderbilt are recognized again this year by U.S. News & World Report’s Best Hospitals as among the nation’s best with 18 nationally ranked specialties.
Vanderbilt University Medical Center is world renowned because of the innovation, work ethic and collegiality of its employees. From our health care advances to our compassionate care, Vanderbilt owes its accomplishments and reputation to staff and faculty who bring skill and drive and innovation to the medical center day after day. World-leading academic departments and comprehensive centers of excellence pursue scientific discoveries and transformational educational and clinical advances across the entire spectrum of health and disea...se.
As the largest employer in middle Tennessee, we welcome those who are interested in ongoing development in a caring, culturally sensitive and professional atmosphere. Most of us spend so much of our lives at work, we want to be part of maintaining a workplace in which people support one another and encourage reaching for excellence. Many high-achieving employees stay at Vanderbilt because of the professional growth they experience and because of their appreciation of Vanderbilt’s benefits, public events and discussions, athletic opportunities, beautiful setting and, above all, sense of community and purpose.
Vanderbilt and its employees share a set of mutual expectations that have been created with productivity, legality, fairness and safety always in mind. We believe that our investment in training and compensating employees multiplies in value when we enable individuals to deliver their best performance for the benefit of us all.