Reporting directly to the Manager, Clinical Trials Billing Compliance, the Senior Charge Accuracy Analyst is responsible for performing line item charge review of research patient encounters in VUMC charge systems to assure the accuracy and completeness of charges captured for insurance and patient billing of inpatient and outpatient hospital services for research participants. The Senior Charge Accuracy Analyst will work in a team environment reviewing technical and professional charges generated from ancillary subsystems; perform remediation of charge errors discovered; identify appropriate use of billing modifiers and other CMS requirements for billing research related charges to federal payors; verify/resolve discrepancies by utilizing systems' tools and resources. The Senior Charge Accuracy Analyst will collaborate with various support teams across the VUMC system with a specific focus on enabling sound data driven business decisions to most effectively support our patients, clinicians, and administration.
- Certification in Medical Coding
- Bachelor's degree with emphasis in Business Administration, Accounting, Healthcare Administration, Nursing, Health Information Management or other related healthcare concentration area
- 4 years' relevant experience; Experience may be substituted for education 2:1 basis (2 years of experience for each year of education required, but not attained)
- Knowledge and understanding of clinical research and clinical trials along with hospital revenue cycle operations (registration, charge capture, health information management, claims, payment posting)
- Knowledge of regulatory publications, how to access and interpret
- Solid oral and written communication skills
- Experience abstracting from electronic medical records
- Excellent analytical and problem-solving skills
- Advanced Excel, Intermediate PowerPoint and Word experience
- Candidates with advanced business or healthcare related degrees and professional work experience in revenue cycle operations and/or clinical operations, particularly Radiology, Cardiology, and/or Interventional Radiology/Cardiology
- Knowledge of government and commercial payor requirements to ensure accurate and compliant charging and billing of hospital inpatient, outpatient, surgical and ancillary services for research patient billing
- Knowledge of CPT, HCPCs, and revenue codes
- Working knowledge of VUMC or other major academic medical center clinical operations and related charge capture processes
- Coding experience in a hospital inpatient and outpatient setting and professional certification as a RHIA, RHIT, or CCS
- Proficient user of Business Objects, Medipac/eStar, Subject Tracker, FACTr, Uber/StarBrite and EPIC
Vanderbilt University Medical Center is home to Vanderbilt University Hospital, The Monroe Carell Jr. Children’s Hospital at Vanderbilt, the Vanderbilt Psychiatric Hospital and the Vanderbilt Stallworth Rehabilitation Hospital. These hospitals experienced more than 61,000 inpatient admissions during fiscal year 2015. Vanderbilt’s adult and pediatric clinics treated nearly 2 million patients during this same period.
Vanderbilt University Hospital and the Monroe Carell Jr. Children’s Hospital at Vanderbilt are recognized again this year by U.S. News & World Report’s Best Hospitals as among the nation’s best with 18 nationally ranked specialties.
Vanderbilt University Medical Center is world renowned because of the innovation, work ethic and collegiality of its employees. From our health care advances to our compassionate care, Vanderbilt owes its accomplishments and reputation to staff and faculty who bring skill and drive and innovation to the medical center day after day. World-leading academic departments and comprehensive centers of excellence pursue scientific discoveries and transformational educational and clinical advances across the entire spectrum of health and disea...se.
As the largest employer in middle Tennessee, we welcome those who are interested in ongoing development in a caring, culturally sensitive and professional atmosphere. Most of us spend so much of our lives at work, we want to be part of maintaining a workplace in which people support one another and encourage reaching for excellence. Many high-achieving employees stay at Vanderbilt because of the professional growth they experience and because of their appreciation of Vanderbilt’s benefits, public events and discussions, athletic opportunities, beautiful setting and, above all, sense of community and purpose.
Vanderbilt and its employees share a set of mutual expectations that have been created with productivity, legality, fairness and safety always in mind. We believe that our investment in training and compensating employees multiplies in value when we enable individuals to deliver their best performance for the benefit of us all.