The Clinical Coordinator is responsible for maintaining the standard of pharmaceutical services established by Doctors Hospital of Laredo which includes formulary management, policy and procedure development and education development for the hospital professional staff. He/she serves on one or more Medical Staff, Hospital or Department Committees or Subcommittees. The Clinical Coordinator serves as a role model for the staff pharmacists, pharmacy techs and pharmacy students in the integration of clinical and dispsensing services in the department. He/she plans and participates in staff development conferences for the professional and technical pharmacy staff. He/she participates in the departmental and medical staff quality management programs. He/she directly supervises Clinical Pharmacy Students on their Clinical rotations.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
1) Provides pharmaceutical care to patients, ages neonate to geriatric. Activities include, but are not limited to: drug therapy,monitoring, providing drug information, patient counseling, and rounding with medical services.
2) Works with medical staff in developing protocols and dosing guidelines in clinical areas.
3) Serves on one or more Medical Staff Committees or Subcommittees and/or serves on one or more departmenet committees. Actively contributes to accomplishing the goals of the committee or subcommittee.
4) Developes educational materials and provides educational programs for the pharmacy staff and other hospital personnel. Prepares educational materials for the house staff on new policies.
5) Works with individual staff members to apply clinical skills, including formulary management and drug therapy monitoring skills, and adverse drug reaction reporting.
6) Serves as a preceptor for clinical students from affiliated colleges of pharmacy.
7) Participates in the Quality Management programs for the Department. Develops and implements quality assurance/improvement drug usage evaluations, and productivity monitors for integrated clinical services.
8) Directs the hospital's adverse drug reaction documentation and reporting process.
9) Assists in the development and monitoring of clinical services integration.
10) Participates in developing the department's annual budget as it relates to the specialty practice areas and promotes good clinical utilization of scarce resources. Helps to maintain costs by achieving department objectives. Assists the medical staff in selecting therapy regimens that cost-effectively meet individual patient needs.
11) Communicates effectively with patients, physicians, visitors and other employees in a courteous, friendly and helpful manner.
12) Exhibits the behaviors delineated by our Service Excellence standards (maintains or enhances self-esteem, listens and responds with empathy, asks for ideas and offers suggestions). Performs all skills and functions related to working relationships. Maintains an environment that assures all customers and all individuals are treated with dignity and respect. Participates in making recommendations for improving working relationships in the work area.
13) Follows all hospital and department safety rules while on the job, including OSHA guidelines for safe handling of cytotoxic agents,universal blood and body fluid precautions and Hazard Communications Act.
Monitor patient progress and establish guidelines for therapeutic Interventions.
14) Reports all accidents promptly and corrects minor safety hazards.
15) Assists staff members when dealing with clinically problematic patient.
16) Performs all duties of a licensed registered Pharmacist as required by the Director and as identified by the ability of established department procedures, policies and laws in performing the duties.