Located in Nashville, Tennessee, and operating at a global crossroads of teaching, discovery and patient care, VUMC is a community of individuals who come to work each day with the simple aim of changing the world. It is a place where your expertise will be valued, your knowledge expanded and your abilities challenged. It is a place where your diversity — of culture, thinking, learning and leading — is sought and celebrated. It is a place where employees know they are part of something that is bigger than themselves, take exceptional pride in their work and never settle for what was good enough yesterday. Vanderbilt's mission is to advance health and wellness through preeminent programs in patient care, education, and research.
The Ruderfer Lab (ruderferlab.org) is at the intersection of genomics, biomedical informatics and psychiatry and has two broad research interests.
Capturing and extracting information to aid in elucidating genetic etiology of behavioral health traits and psychiatric diagnoses
Utilizing genetics/genomics to understand biological mechanism and interventional strategies of psychiatric disorders
We are seeking a highly motivated, organized individual with strong background in computational biology, bioinformatics, human genetics or related field to contribute to the core work of the lab (Bachelor's degree required). Experience programming and performing analysis in a Unix environment is essential. This position will require developing methods and performing analyses across multiple projects, organizing and being responsible for management of data and resources. This individual will be expected to contribute intellectually to research, grants and lab meetings and could potentially lead their own projects based on background and motivation.
Individual will develop, modify and run software to perform research in large-scale 'omic and clinical datasets. This includes developing methods in perl, python, C++ etc. to integrate and statistically analyze whole-genome sequencing data, RNA-sequencing data and electronic health record data.
Proper documentation and cataloging of code through repositories such as github will be required. Continued support, bug fixes and improvements of software is also required.
Individual will be responsible for organizing raw 'omic data on unix cluster as well as maintain and catalog both internal and external resources to ensure appropriate use of compute resources.
Develops or modifies software.
Ensures appropriate documentation for all development and modification.
Ensures integrity and security of institutional data.
The responsibilities listed are a general overview of the position and additional duties may be assigned.
APPLICATION DEVELOPMENT (NOVICE): - Demonstrates the ability to conduct programming to build or enhance simple programs. Has conducted the basic phases of programming including program design, coding from specifications, testing according to test specifications, debugging, and program documentation. In terms of structured programming, if applicable, demonstrated knowledge of the basic coding constructs. Awareness of the importance of proper formatting of source code for its readability and to facilitate maintenance. Effectively incorporates utilities where needed.
APPLICATIONS DEVELOPMENT STANDARDS AND PROCEDURES (FUNDAMENTAL AWARENESS): - Has received training and/or has a solid understanding of the standards and procedures required regarding applications development such as basic security considerations, coding, development and design guidelines and methodologies, etc. Adheres to the established standards, procedures, guidelines and methodologies within the work area.
APPLICATIONS SYSTEM DESIGN - (FUNDAMENTAL AWARENESS): - Has knowledge of or light exposure to basic systems design tasks such as designing system architecture and flow, preparing functional design and file specifications, designing new documents, screens and reports, preparing program requirements and specifications, and preparing implementation and testing plans. Worked with transaction, object oriented, graphical user interface and other concepts and architectures. In terms of structured systems design, if applicable, has had classroom training or independent study in principles of structured design. Has an understanding of concepts such as cohesion, coupling, data flow graphics, etc.
Organizational Impact: Delivers job responsibilities that impact own job area/team with some guidance.
Problem Solving/ Complexity of work: Uses existing procedures, research and analysis to solve standard job related problems that may require some judgement.
Breadth of Knowledge: Requires subject matter knowledge within a professional area to meet job requirements.
Team Interaction: Individually contributes to project/ work teams.
SUPPORTING COLLEAGUES (P1):
- Develops Self and Others: Continuously improves own skills by identifying development opportunities.
- Builds and Maintains Relationships: Seeks to understand colleagues' priorities, working styles and develops relationships across areas.
- Communicates Effectively: Openly shares information with others and communicates in a clear and courteous manner.
DELIVERING EXCELLENT SERVICES (P1):
- Serves Others with Compassion: Invests time to understand the problems, needs of others and how to provide excellent service.
- Solves Complex Problems: Seeks to understand issues, solves routine problems, and raises proper concerns to supervisors in a timely manner.
- Offers Meaningful Advice and Support: Listens carefully to understand the issues and provides accurate information and support.
ENSURING HIGH QUALITY (P1):
- Performs Excellent Work: Checks work quality before delivery and asks relevant questions to meet quality standards.
- Ensures Continuous Improvement: Shows eagerness to learn new knowledge, technologies, tools or systems and displays willingness to go above and beyond.
- Fulfills Safety and Regulatory Requirements: Demonstrates basic knowledge of conditions that affect safety and reports unsafe conditions to the appropriate person or department.
MANAGING RESOURCES EFFECTIVELY (P1):
- Demonstrates Accountability: Takes responsibility for completing assigned activities and thinks beyond standard approaches to provide high-quality work/service.
- Stewards Organizational Resources: Displays understanding of how personal actions will impact departmental resources.
- Makes Data Driven Decisions: Uses accurate information and good decision making to consistently achieve results on time and without error.
FOSTERING INNOVATION (P1):
- Generates New Ideas: Willingly proposes/accepts ideas or initiatives that will impact day-to-day operations by offering suggestions to enhance them.
- Applies Technology: Absorbs new technology quickly; understands when to utilize the appropriate tools and procedures to ensure proper course of action.
- Adapts to Change: Embraces change by keeping an open mind to changing plans and incorporates change instructions into own area of work.
Vanderbilt University Medical Center is home to Vanderbilt University Hospital, The Monroe Carell Jr. Children’s Hospital at Vanderbilt, the Vanderbilt Psychiatric Hospital and the Vanderbilt Stallworth Rehabilitation Hospital. These hospitals experienced more than 61,000 inpatient admissions during fiscal year 2015. Vanderbilt’s adult and pediatric clinics treated nearly 2 million patients during this same period.
Vanderbilt University Hospital and the Monroe Carell Jr. Children’s Hospital at Vanderbilt are recognized again this year by U.S. News & World Report’s Best Hospitals as among the nation’s best with 18 nationally ranked specialties.
Vanderbilt University Medical Center is world renowned because of the innovation, work ethic and collegiality of its employees. From our health care advances to our compassionate care, Vanderbilt owes its accomplishments and reputation to staff and faculty who bring skill and drive and innovation to the medical center day after day. World-leading academic departments and comprehensive centers of excellence pursue scientific discoveries and transformational educational and clinical advances across the entire spectrum of health and disea...se.
As the largest employer in middle Tennessee, we welcome those who are interested in ongoing development in a caring, culturally sensitive and professional atmosphere. Most of us spend so much of our lives at work, we want to be part of maintaining a workplace in which people support one another and encourage reaching for excellence. Many high-achieving employees stay at Vanderbilt because of the professional growth they experience and because of their appreciation of Vanderbilt’s benefits, public events and discussions, athletic opportunities, beautiful setting and, above all, sense of community and purpose.
Vanderbilt and its employees share a set of mutual expectations that have been created with productivity, legality, fairness and safety always in mind. We believe that our investment in training and compensating employees multiplies in value when we enable individuals to deliver their best performance for the benefit of us all.