The Computer Operation Technician installs, uninstalls, and moves hardware including cabinets, shelves, power strips, rails, fiber/copper/other cables and cable management, servers, storage, and other devices in the Data Center. The technician confirms and labels devices, racks, and cables. The technician works in a standard ticketing system, providing clear, timely, and appropriate communications.
The technician performs these activities under the direction of the Operations Supervisor and/or Operations Manager and follows Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs), Program Policies, Safety Policies, and Security Policies while meeting requirements for quality and quantity of work. The technician is responsible for maintaining data integrity of all assets in the Data Center.
This position will be responsible for the day-to-day operational needs of data center facilities in a 24 X 7 operating environment. He/she will maintain the proper operating conditions for all IT processing and network equipment to ensure 100% uptime for all systems.
The technician provides remote hands support for any request requiring actions within the data center space to include, but not limited to, server / network equipment racking, provisioning power for new rack installations, data/storage cabling, and hands-on support for problem resolution.
Required Skills :
Physically assist in moving and racking equipment
Able to safely lift and move a minimum of fifty (50) pounds
Excellent verbal and written communication skills
Ability to update asset management data as required
Effectively utilizes the ticket management system
Able to Install/De-Install/Maintain Tier 3 devices (servers, switches, storage and other hardware)
Able to cable systems (power/copper/fiber/other) correctly based on ticket requirements and SOP standards
Communicates effectively in tickets, emails, telephone conversations, and in-person interactions with customers, management, and peers
Must work effectively with other staff and customers
Must be able to multi-task
Must be able to adapt to changing priorities, conditions, and circumstances
Must be punctual and reliable
Must have good organization skills
Must have good interpersonal skills for working in a team environment
Must have good time management skills
May be required to operate material handling equipment – server lifts.
Proficiency working with standard desktop PC tools and applications such as MS Office, MS Outlook, web browsers, etc.
Server/Network Hardware Rack and Stack experience
Experience working with ticketing systems.
Working knowledge of computer hardware
Working knowledge of networking components and infrastructures
Knowledgeable in Data Center best practices
Strong cable management skills and experience running fiber and copper in a data center
Other duties as assigned
Certifications in Data Center technologies are desired
Resolves problems by providing notification, escalation and documentation.
Performs inspections and acts as steward of data centers.
Maintains logs and department documentation.
The responsibilities listed are a general overview of the position and additional duties may be assigned.
DATA PLANNING (FUNDAMENTAL AWARENESS): - Has light experience, training, direct exposure, or past experience working with the skill. May have successfully completed introductory, essentials and concepts training.
DATA REPLICATION (FUNDAMENTAL AWARENESS): - Has some training, exposure, or light experience in database replication.
DATA WAREHOUSE ACCESS AND REPORTING (FUNDAMENTAL AWARENESS): - Has light experience or training accessing information to prepare simple reports.
COMPUTER EQUIPMENT OPERATIONS (FUNDAMENTAL AWARENESS): - Possesses a fundamental knowledge of the operating characteristics of the equipment. Has light experience or a basic understanding of the commands required for operations.
Organizational Impact: Performs tasks that are typically routine that may impact team's performance with occasional guidance.
Problem Solving/ Complexity of work: Utilizes some discretion and research to solve routine problems.
Breadth of Knowledge: Applies knowledge of standards, established processes and procedure that apply to your own job.
Team Interaction: Provides guidance to entry level co-workers.
SUPPORTING COLLEAGUES (S2):
- Develops Self and Others: Continuously improves own skills by identifying development opportunities.
- Builds and Maintains Relationships : Seeks to understand colleagues priorities, working styles and develops relationships across areas.
- Communicates Effectively: Openly shares information with others and communicates in a clear and courteous manner.
DELIVERING EXCELLENT SERVICES (S2):
- Serves Others with Compassion: Invests time to understand the problems, needs of others and how to provide excellent service.
- Solves Complex Problems: Seeks to understand issues, solves routine problems, and raises proper concerns tosupervisors in a timely manner.
- Offers Meaningful Advice and Support: Listens carefully to understand the issues and provides accurate information and support.
ENSURING HIGH QUALITY (S2):
- Performs Excellent Work: Checks work quality before delivery and asks relevant questions to meet quality standards.
- Ensures Continuous Improvement: Shows eagerness to learn new knowledge, technologies, tools or systems and displays willingness to go above and beyond.
- Fulfills Safety and Regulatory Requirements: Demonstrates basic knowledge of conditions that affect safety and reports unsafe conditions to the appropriate person or department.
MANAGING RESOURCES EFFECTIVELY (S2):
- Demonstrates Accountability: Takes responsibility for completing assigned activities and thinks beyond standard approaches to provide high-quality work/service.
- Stewards Organizational Resources: Displays understanding of how personal actions will impact departmental resources.
- Makes Data Driven Decisions: Uses accurate information and good decision making to consistently achieve results on time and without error.
FOSTERING INNOVATION (S2):
- Generates New Ideas: Willingly proposes/accepts ideas or initiatives that will impact day-to-day operations by offering suggestions to enhance them.
- Applies Technology: Absorbs new technology quickly; understands when to utilize the appropriate tools and procedures to ensure proper course of action.
- Adapts to Change: Embraces change by keeping an open mind to changing plans and incorporates change instructions into own area of work.
Vanderbilt University Medical Center is home to Vanderbilt University Hospital, The Monroe Carell Jr. Children’s Hospital at Vanderbilt, the Vanderbilt Psychiatric Hospital and the Vanderbilt Stallworth Rehabilitation Hospital. These hospitals experienced more than 61,000 inpatient admissions during fiscal year 2015. Vanderbilt’s adult and pediatric clinics treated nearly 2 million patients during this same period.Vanderbilt University Hospital and the Monroe Carell Jr. Children’s Hospital at Vanderbilt are recognized again this year by U.S. News & World Report’s Best Hospitals as among the nation’s best with 18 nationally ranked specialties. Vanderbilt University Medical Center is world renowned because of the innovation, work ethic and collegiality of its employees. From our health care advances to our compassionate care, Vanderbilt owes its accomplishments and reputation to staff and faculty who bring skill and drive and innovation to the medical center day after day. World-leading academic departments and comprehensive centers of excellence pursue scientific discoveries and transformational educational and clinical advances across the entire spectrum of health and disease.As th...e largest employer in middle Tennessee, we welcome those who are interested in ongoing development in a caring, culturally sensitive and professional atmosphere. Most of us spend so much of our lives at work, we want to be part of maintaining a workplace in which people support one another and encourage reaching for excellence. Many high-achieving employees stay at Vanderbilt because of the professional growth they experience and because of their appreciation of Vanderbilt’s benefits, public events and discussions, athletic opportunities, beautiful setting and, above all, sense of community and purpose.Vanderbilt and its employees share a set of mutual expectations that have been created with productivity, legality, fairness and safety always in mind. We believe that our investment in training and compensating employees multiplies in value when we enable individuals to deliver their best performance for the benefit of us all.