There’s a reason we believe that America is watching Geisinger. Geisinger is one of the nation’s largest health service organizations. We are dedicated to setting the standard for evidence-based care delivery and pursuing innovative new approaches to predictive precision medicine, such as our MyCode® genomic research initiative. Whether you prefer working in a busy urban center, a suburban area or a small-town setting, Geisinger has clinical and nonclinical positions open throughout our system. With 12 physician-led hospital campuses to staff throughout Pennsylvania and in southern New Jersey, we offer a wide range of positions, a competitive, pay-for-performance salary structure and healthcare benefits from day one, including those for vision, dental and domestic partners.* Perhaps just as important, from senior management on down, we encourage an atmosphere of collaboration, cooperation and collegiality.
Location: Geisinger Medical Center
Work Schedule: Days
Work Type: FULL TIME
Manages nursing personnel and daily operational related activities. Leads Nursing team for assigned units with responsibility for all operational functions of the team. Works in partnership with the Medical Director/Physician Liaison of the inpatient unit to provide administrative and medical staff support to the operations of the inpatient unit.
Responsible for developing and initiating improvements in the organization and delivery of high quality, cost effective patient care. Duties and responsibilities will include supporting the vision, mission, and goals of the Nursing Department and the organization. Responsible for nursing clinical practice, budgetary personnel activities, and regulatory activities associated with the unit and the clinical department, and continuing support of Electronic Medical Record (EMR). Commitment to community service is encouraged and is a quality of leadership.
Responsible for ensuring the very best patient/family experience by optimizing all customer interaction. Foster a positive work environment through mutual support and cooperation and adheres to GHS and unit specific Service Standards.
Reports directly to the AVP/Clinical Director and is matrixed to the Department Service Line leaders (Vice President and Chair) as appropriate.
MAJOR DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
*A. Leadership: 1. Demonstrates characteristics and behaviors necessary to assure employee understanding and acceptance of the nursing and system driving strategies, i.e. visionary, reliable., role model, self motivated, honest.
2. Effectively communicates and incorporates Nursing and the organization's vision, goals, and initiatives at the unit/department level consistently with Magnet philosophy and environment.
3. Participates effectively as a member of departmental/divisional/regional leadership teams.
4. Employs transformational leadership concepts in the development, implementation, and evaluation of shared governance councils and maintenance of magnet culture.
5. Facilitates team based problem solving within and between departments.
6. Facilitates/incorporates/promotes evidence based practice into care.
. *B. Staff Mentoring/Coaching and Development: 1. Facilitates continuing education and research opportunities for employees, self and community to support growth and enhance the contribution to Geisinger Health System.
2. Utilizes team building concepts to effectively empower team member by serving as a mentor, teacher and coach.
3. Ensures the patient safety improvement and management program will be given high priority and will support the program.
4. Collaborates with Clinical Nurse Educators to develop employee orientation, continuing education and competencies.
5. Maintains membership in a professional nursing organization.
6. Enhances skills of team members such as decision-making, problem solving, conflict resolution, human resource management and communication.
7. Supports and promotes activities that are consistent with promoting a Magnet Culture and innovation.
*C. Maintains a Robust Workplace Environment: 1. Facilitates development, maintenance and success of unit teams.
2. Provides feedback to team regarding performance and job related issues.
3. Ensures adequate staffing and competent care delivery.
4. Develops, implements, and revises nursing retention strategies on an on-going basis.
5. Develops positive and proactive employee relations.
*D Accountable for Domains of Magnet Recognition 1. Demonstrates transformational leadership in maintaining a Magnet Culture.
2. Incorporates structural empowerment through shared governance, fostering professional development and involvement in the workplace and community.
3. Integrates the Professional Practice model with the mission, vision, philosophy and values of the organization.
4. Encourage new knowledge, innovations and improvements using evidence based practice and research.
5 Focuses on empirical outcomes related to clinical practice. . *E. Service Excellence/Financial/Quality/Efficiency Processes: 1. Demonstrates accountability for continuously improving the work unit, department, division and system by developing performance expectations and goals that focus on service, quality and cost.
2. Communicates a clear description of performance expectations and goals to employees, encouraging and supporting their participation and accountability.
3. Establishes and adjusts hour per patient day (HPPD) for assigned units based on national benchmarks.
4. Develops, implements, and achieves budgets which attain unit, division, and system goals.
5. Reviews reports to monitor revenue and expense impacting activities.
6. Develops and implements operational contingency plans proactively and when indicators change.
7. Educates employees in the need to develop a cost conscious approach to quality care and/or service delivery.
8. Develops and promotes service standards that foster a customer sensitive environment, using a proactive approach.
9. Measures performance against standards and seeks team commitment to exceed standards.
10. Facilitates staffs management of patients and customer related issues in a timely manner.
*G. Risk Management: 1. Assists in dealing with risk management issues to mitigate risk and exposure.
2. Assists in development and implementation of department PI plan.
3. Ensures all incidents, serious events, and sentinel events are reported to PI and addressed in a timely manner.
4. Proactively reviews the units/systems risk exposure to develop educational activities for employees/associates that will reduce liability.
5. Coordinates and communicates safety standards and processes and holds staff accountable.
6. Assists and maintains regulatory compliance incorporating the Tracer Methodology.
*H. Collaboration with Departments, Services and Administration: 1. Works closely with other departments/services/administration to maximize quality patient outcomes.
2. Collaborates with Administration/Medical Director on a regular basis.
3. Facilitates issue resolution and enhancement of work environment through collaboration with other departments and within the GHS system.
4. Facilitates the collaboration between members of the interdisciplinary teams via IDTs and Continuum of Care Rounds
5. Collaborates with Human Resources to maintain a healthy work environment.
I. Performs duties as required or assigned by emergency or other operational reasons for which the employee is qualified to perform.
*Denotes essential job functions.
SPECIFIC POSITION DUTIES:
COMPETENCIES AND SKILLS:
Demonstrates basic knowledge of budget concepts.
Demonstrates good organizational skills.
Demonstrates good human relation skills, active listening, and conflict resolution skills.
Demonstrates excellent oral and written interpersonal communication skills.
Demonstrates leadership, facilitation, coaching, and collaboration skills.
Demonstrates the ability to guide a team to successful outcomes.
Demonstrates effective decision-making and problem-solving skills.
Demonstrates the technological skills/abilities to perform the functions of the position as it relates to chart auditing, employee documentation accountability and other performance improvement functions and unit based needs.
EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE:
RN presently licensed or eligible for licensure in Pennsylvania required.
BSN degree required. Master's degree in nursing, Health Care Administration or related field preferred.
Professional certification required.
Minimum 3 or more years of progressive management experience in a health care setting required.
Management experience in an academic medical center or integrated health care delivery system preferred.
WORKING CONDITIONS/PHYSICAL DEMANDS:
Work is typically performed in a clinical environment.
The specific statements shown in each section of this description are not intended to be all-inclusive. They represent typical elements considered necessary to successfully perform the job.
Geisinger Health System is an integrated health services organization widely recognized for its innovative use of the electronic health record and the development of innovative care delivery models such as ProvenHealth Navigator® and ProvenCare®. As one of the nation’s largest health service organizations, Geisinger serves more than 3 million residents throughout 45counties in central, south-central and northeast Pennsylvania, and also in southern New Jersey with the addition of AtlantiCare, a National Malcolm Baldridge Award recipient. The physician-led system is comprised of approximately 30,000 employees,including nearly 1,600 employed physicians, 12 hospital campuses, two research centers and a 510,000-member health plan, all of which leverage an estimated $8.9 billion positive impact on the Pennsylvania economy. Geisinger hasrepeatedly garnered national accolades for integration, quality and service. In addition to fulfilling its patient care mission, Geisinger has a long-standing commitment to medical education, research and community service. For more information, visit www.geisinger.org, or follow the latest Geisinger news and more on Twitter and Facebook.
** Does not qualify for J-1 waiver. We are an Affirmative Action, Equal Opportunity Employer Women and Minorities are Encouraged to Apply. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability or their protected veteran status.
*Domestic partner benefits not applicable at Geisinger Holy Spirit.
Geisinger serves more than 3 million people in central, south-central and northeast Pennsylvania and also in southern New Jersey with the addition of National Malcolm Baldridge Award recipient AtlantiCare, A member of Geisinger. In 2017, the Geisinger Commonwealth School of Medicine became the newest member of the Geisinger Family. Geisinger is nationally recognized for innovative practices and quality care. A mature electronic health record connects a comprehensive network of 13 hospital campuses, two research centers and nearly 1,600 Geisinger primary and specialty care physicians.Geisinger is an integrated health services organization widely recognized for its innovative use of the electronic health record and the development of innovative care delivery models such as ProvenHealth Navigator®, ProvenCare® and ProvenExperience®. As one of the nation’s largest health service organizations, Geisinger serves more than 3 million residents throughout 45 counties in central, south-central and northeast Pennsylvania, and also in southern New Jersey at AtlantiCare, a Malcolm Baldrige National Quality Award recipient. In 2017, the Geisinger Commonwealth School of Medicine and Geisinger Je...rsey Shore Hospital became the newest members of the Geisinger Family. The physician-led system is comprised of approximately 30,000 employees, including nearly 1,600 employed physicians, 13 hospital campuses, two research centers, and a 583,000-member health plan, all of which leverage an estimated $12.7 billion positive impact on the Pennsylvania and New Jersey economies. Geisinger has repeatedly garnered national accolades for integration, quality and service. In addition to fulfilling its patient care mission, Geisinger has a long-standing commitment to medical education, research and community service. For more information, visit www.geisinger.org, or connect with us on Facebook, Instagram, LinkedIn and Twitter.