The cook is responsible for the preparing and serving foods to patients and personnel. All policies and procedures, menus, recipes and guidelines are followed to provide accurate quality and quantities of foods. Particularly important is infection control/sanitation/safety standards as well as professionalism in demeanor, attitude and service to patients and staff.
When assigned to the late shift, may assume general supervision of the department though the dinner meal. In occasional absences of manager or assistant manager, may be responsible for department.
Major Duties and Responsibilities
1. Prepares and cooks food indicated on menus provided for patient and personnel, using standardized recipes based on standard portion size.
2. Prepares food production schedules or those provided by supervisor.
3. Schedules food preparation so that items such as vegetables and grilled foods are prepared in small batches continuously throughout the serving period as evidenced by shortages.Â
4. Estimates food requirements and controls serving portions, eliminating waste and leftovers.
5. Apportions food in accordance with yield specified in standardized recipes as evidenced by spot checks.
6. Checks equipment and cooking area often to make sure they maintain safety and sanitation requirements on a daily basis.
7. Reports repair and maintenance needs to maintenance department immediately.
8. Follows menus provided, making changes only with the consent of his/her supervisor.
9. Counsels with dietician regarding product evaluation and menu development.
10. Sweeps and mops the floor daily, cleans tables daily in cafeteria, cleans chairs weekly.
11. Cleans sinks, cleans under the stove area and top of stove area, cleans refrigerator area inside and under on a weekly basis.
12. Performs other duties as assigned.
13. Will adhere to all safety policies and safe work practice.
14. Will attend hospital safety trainings.
15. Will adhere to all hospital policies and procedures.