Under general supervision, performs a variety of routine to moderately complex procedures as part of a coordinated effort involving Medical Technologists and other personnel engaged in testing for, identifying, and diagnosing diseases; applies basic scientific theory and knowledge in biology and chemistry as obtained in connection with education and training as a Medical Laboratory Technician and as further acquired through practical work experience in a clinical laboratory. Performs tasks requiring an understanding of alternative methods, approaches and techniques beyond that required at the Medical Laboratory Technician Ill level. Exercises sound judgment in the performance of elective and stat tests. Operates and calibrates laboratory equipment to ensure accuracy, maintains thorough and reliable records, and provides general assistance to other Technicians and staff as necessary. May perform specialized procedures according to area of assignment; for example, where applicable may perform blood drawing and other related procedures of an advance manner.
· Mustqualify as a Medical Laboratory Technician under the Illinois Laboratories Code
· Must have at least three (3) years full-time, practical work experience in a hospital or healthcare setting
· American Society for Clinical Pathology (ASCP) or other certification as a Medical Laboratory Technician
· Associate's degree
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, ABILITIES, AND OTHER CHARACTERISTICS
· Skill and knowledge of the concepts, principles and practices necessary to function effectively as a Medical Laboratory Technician performing responsible tasks in one or more designated area of the clinical labs of the Cook County Healthcare System. Ability to apply learned and practiced techniques under a variety of circumstances, or on particular shifts or assignments.
· Skill in the performance of routine and stat tests in the sections of Biochemistry, Blood Bank, Hematology, Microbiology, and /or elsewhere as may be applicable to area of assignment. Ability to follow standard operating procedures in tests such as CBC, Coagulation profiles, glucose, urea nitrogen, electrolytes, cardiac enzymes, type and crossmatch, routine microbiology procedures, and/or other procedures according to area of assignment.
· Ability to work closely with and assist other Medical Laboratory Assistants II and Ill and Medical Technologists in assigned or related areas. Ability to assist with routine troubleshooting, calibrating and ensuring proper functioning of laboratory equipment; recognizing appropriate and inappropriate methods and results related to particular areas of inquiry; judgment in determining when to refer problems to the appropriate personnel.
· Ability to successfully participate in learning and mastering new techniques and procedures or taking on new assignments; ability to effectively manage one's own assignments and daily work routine with minimum supervision.
· Skill in maintaining records and data through the use of the laboratory information systems. Ability to assist and assume responsibility for certain aspects of laboratory safety and quality factors.
· Ability to maintain a current working knowledge of the basic scientific principles and practices relevant to area or assignment and remain current in the skills required of the position.
· Skill in analyzing problems, test results, and findings to determine when to apply alternative methods or consult with the Medical Technologist; ability to correlate data to ensure validity of findings.
· Skill and proficiency in the safe use and application of laboratory equipment; chemicals and substances; Ability to perform specialized automated and non-automated laboratory techniques; ability to assist with or perform the duties of other Medical Laboratory Assistants II and Ill in a designated area as circumstances may require, and assist Medical Technologists as necessary.
When applying for employment with the Cook County Health & Hospitals System, preference is given to honorably discharged Veterans who have served in the Armed Forces of the United States for not less than 6 months of continuous service
To take advantage of this preference a Veteran must :
· Meet the minimum qualifications for the position.
· Identify self as a Veteran on the employment application by answering yes to the question by answering yes to the question,
ABOUT COOK COUNTY HEALTH (CCH)
The Cook County Health’s mission is to deliver integrated health services with dignity and respect regardless of a patient’s ability to pay; foster partnerships with other health providers and communities to enhance the health of the public; and advocate for policies that promote the physical, mental and social wellbeing of the people of Cook County.
CCH is comprised of two hospitals, John H. Stroger, Jr. Hospital and Provident Hospital, a robust network of more than a dozen community health centers, the Ruth M. Rothstein CORE Center, the Community Triage Center, the Cook County Department of Public Health, Cermak Health Services, which provides health care to individuals at the Cook County Jail and the Juvenile Temporary Detention Center, and CountyCare, a Medicaid managed care health plan.
The system cares for more than 300,000 patients each year and its physicians are experts in their fields, committed to providing their patients with comprehensive, compassionate and cutting-edge care. Today, CCH is transforming the provision of health care in Cook County by promoting community-based primary and preventive care, growing an innovative, ...collaborative health plan and enhancing the patient experience.
COOK COUNTY HEALTH IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER